Monday, May 18, 2009

A NICU Celebration


Every year the hospital where Arden was born hosts a party to celebrate the children who graduated from the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). It is really fun to go and see all of the children who are running around playing games and having a blast. There are many twins and triplets there as well.

Arden climbed up in the fire truck. She is so fascinated with fire trucks and all their equipment. The fireman was really great and let Arden play with all of the equipment and controls.

She made a pit stop in the jumping ring and had a blast. Then it was off to get some popcorn. Along the way we ran into Sir Purr but she wanted nothing to do with him.
Then after popcorn she tried her hand at the bean bag toss. She cheated just a little but still had a great time.


We had a great lunch of hamburgers, hot dogs and fresh fruit. After her meal Arden tried her hand at Putt-Putt and did a great job. There were other exhibits as well and we had such a great time.

2 comments:

Marie Marsicano said...

What a great celebration!!! I had no idea Arden had been in NICU.

Both of my kids were in the NICU but thankfully not because they were premature or had other issues - they both had what the hospital considered "traumatic" deliveries so they wisk them right over to NICU. When Joe and I walked through the unit (I was actually pushed in a wheelchair) I had so many emotions looking at all the babies and the keepsakes on their "beds" and the families visiting. I felt guilty to be going to see a 9 lb baby girl who they just wanted to watch feed a few times before the let her come to the room.

God bless all the employees and families who spend time in that unit.

Lisa said...

I remember going in the first time. My eyes were only on my child who was 4.6 lbs. She decided to join us a little early. My water broke at week 33 and they held me off for 5 days to get steroids in her for her lungs to develop. The LORD was faithful to us and she was able to breathe on her own. She was beautiful and healthy. She was in the NICU for a total of two weeks. We were orginally told she would be in there for 6 weeks but she's a fighter and wanted to come home where she belongs. I couldn't wait to get my baby home.

My delivery was smooth with but there was a team of NICU doctors in my delivery as well waiting on her and they started working right away. I am so thankful for her and all the doctors and nurses.