Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Knew It was Coming

Arden loves the pool which isn't a surprise because Dave and I both love being at the pool. She is trying so hard to swim. She watches the bigger kids swim around and loves it when Dave and I swim underwater up to her.

Last week she started to lower herself into the pool and turn around and push off to swim to me. She holds her breath when she goes under water. I am really enjoy watching her try and make progress.

My mom got her a swimsuit with floats in it and we put it on her this weekend and she loved it. It provided her with more freedom and allows her to continue to use her arms and legs without hindering her. Over the weekend Dave and I allowed her to go off the diving board with one of us catching her. She loved it. She was easily hooked. We are telling her that until she learns to swim she can only go off the board if Mommy and Daddy are both at the pool. She is obeying that rule with me this week.

But since going off the board she is really getting into jumping off the side of the pool. When we arrived at the pool today we got in without her floats and practiced swimming without them. She did a great job jumping in and moving herself towards the ladder. She is getting so much better we still have a ways to go but she is learning and willing to try.

After about 30 minutes of practice she played in the baby pool. It was then time for the swimsuit with the floats. She did so well. She has learned how to kick her feet to keep her chin above the water. We continued to play and then she was hungry. So we took a snack break.

While we were eating she was walking around with a cracker in her hand and then she just walked up to the pool and jumped in. She still had her float swimsuit on and I wasn't more than two feet away actually walking towards her because I could tell what was getting ready to happen. I jumped in behind her. She had popped up and was turning around towards the ladder with her cracker still in her hand.

I stressed that she had to wait on me to be in the water and she did the rest of the day. She will keep me on my toes all summer. I am so glad that she does obey at the pool (for the most part) and hasn't ventured more than 5 feet away from me.

1 comment:

Because of Love said...

I use bloglines to keep up on my blogs that I read. It is suppose to tell you when people update their blogs. Well, when I got on this morning it told me that I had somehow missed 14 of your blogs. So, now I am all caught up.