Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Who Are You Calling a Baby?

The formatting is not working tonight...sorry for the jumbled post.

Today at the pool I saw the competitive side of my daughter that I hadn't seen before.

The scene:
I was in the water talking to one of my friends and Arden was standing on the edge with her float suit on. She was "talking" to another little girl who was in the water. A boy about 7 years old swam up to me and pointed to Arden and the following happened.

The Boy: "There's a baby pool over there."

Me: "There is?"

The Boy: "Yes, it's where babies swim."

Me: "Do you want to swim over there?"

The Boy: "No. It's for babies."
Me: "OK. Do want me to swim in the baby pool." I know I was teasing him a little but I knew where this conversation was heading.
The Boy: As he's pointing to Arden. "No. Her. She belongs in the baby pool."
Me: "She fine swimming in either pool."
At this point Arden jumps in and starts swimming (with her floats) using both her arms and legs and moving as fast as the boy is as he swims away from us. I actually had to move to her to pull her back before she followed him across the pool. My friend and I were laughing because Arden took this boy's challenge and was going to show him she is not a baby. (She's still my baby but don't tell her.)

She's spunky and is not going let anyone define who she is. I was reflecting this evening and I love how kids know who they are and how comfortable they are just being themselves and not letting anyone define them. Why then do we as adults try to let others define who we are instead of living for who God created us to be?

Here are a couple of pictures of Arden that Candice at A Beautiful Mess took for us a couple of weeks ago when they joined us at the pool. We always have a good time and great conversations when we get together.








No comments: