Friday, November 14, 2008

Advent Calendars

This year for Christmas I really want to have an Advent calendar as a fun way for Arden to learn the story of Jesus birth. I remember having one as a child. It helped to build anticipation and I learned the story of Christmas. I remember at night being in the kitchen and opening up each flap.

So I went on search early for one since it's still two weeks before Thanksgiving and I wanted to be prepared. However, finding one was much harder than I thought. I started out at the Christian bookstore and they did not carry them which I thought that would be the most obvious place to look but I guess I was wrong.

I finally found one at the Hallmark store. I had to ask if they had any because they were visibly displayed with the Christmas merchandise. There was one made of chocolate but that's not what I was looking for. They were in the very back of the store with a selection of Christmas cards. There were several to chose from most of them were of Mickey Mouse and penguins but they had a couple (but not many) with the manager scene on it.

It was exactly what I was looking for. Each flap has the story of what happened to prepare for Jesus's birth. I can't wait to start on Dec. 1 do this with Arden. She is really getting into the bible stories at church and I'm sure that this is something she is going to love.

So if you want an advent calendar you should probably get one this weekend but they are hard to find and there aren't that many to begin with.

No comments: