Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How NOT to Make Cookies


Well after last night's cookie fiasco Dave and I are able to laugh about it today. Last night we were so frustrated because of all the time it took him to make the cookies plus all the ingredients that we ended up wasting. The dough ended up in a big heavy heap in the trash. But a good night's sleep helped us to see the humor in the situation.

Last night I was laying in bed and thinking well I'm not Martha Stewart nor am I Martha from the Bible. As I pictured it both Martha's would have everything ready, have all of her supplies labeled and dated and never, ever confuse flour with tile grout.

Here's how the incident occurred. All day yesterday I was really craving homemade chocolate chip cookies not the kind from the tube but the ones made from scratch. I could taste them all day. After I fed Arden dinner I started to make the cookies but realized that I needed to start over because I did not read the directions before starting. (I can hear my 4th grade teacher saying "Do not start until you have read through all of the instructions."). Luckily I didn't get too far in the recipe so nothing was lost. Note: Dave usually makes the homemade cookies in this house.

At this point Dave walked in the door and once he saw that I wanted to make the cookies he said that he take over. He loves making made-from-scratch cookies. So he ate dinner, played with Arden and then started making the cookies while I gave Arden a bath.

As Dave started making the cookies he realized that we were out of flour. I said "don't worry there is a whole bag downstairs in the closet". (Important note: our kitchen was built in 1962 and has not been updated and it is about the size of a bedroom closet these days... so I turned the downstairs hall closet into a pantry.) So I went and got the bag of flour which was in zip lock bag not labeled. It was soft like flour and had no smell. Dave looked at it and asked "are you sure this is flour" I replied that it was and that I put it down there last year after I had Arden. He proceeded to make the cookies.

As I was drying off Arden and putting on her pj's I heard "COUGH, COUGH!! UGH! Pheeph! YUCK! Lisa I don't think this is flour!"

Arden and I head into the kitchen and find a pasty white looking cookie dough and Dave still coughing and spitting from where he licked the beaters. I felt the dread rising up and thinking that doesn't look like cookie dough.

Of course like anything that tastes bad Dave asked me to "try it". My response was uh-no...he was coughing and it looked like caulking with chocolate chips swirled in it. I knew this was nothing that I wanted to taste... Then Dave said "I should have known that something was wrong when it had a cloud puff and turned blue while I was mixing it."

So with that said Dave started looking at the "flour" in the bag and determined that it had to be title grout. When we moved into the house we put tile in our bathroom and had grout in the house. I have no idea how this bag made it into my food pantry and why I thought it was flour.

Well needless to say I felt horrible and at the same time was very thankful that I didn't use it in a meal recipe where our dinner would have been ruined and we all would have been sitting around hungry.

Well I'm off to organize my pantry.

No comments: