Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

I can't believe that I am excited about the possibilities of snow tonight! I love to see it snow (but only once a year) and since we didn't see any snow during Christmas I am really for it now.

I grew up in the mountains of West Virginia where as a child we would get these deep snows and schools would be closed for a couple of weeks at a time. My brother and I would play out in the snow where we would build snowmen and throw snowballs at each other. As a child it was great. I also remember snow and ice so deep that we would lose power and my mom would make us tomato soup and grill cheese sandwiches on the kerosene heater in the kitchen as we also huddled around the heater for warmth waiting for the power to be restored. I remember my dad sweeping the snow off the cars and letting the cars warm up before my mom took us to school. I can also remember hearing the chains on the school buses coming around the curve to pick up the heavily bundled kids.

Dave remembers sled ridding in the dark with his two brothers and his dad in the dark on a toboggan (not the hat). He remembers his mom waiting on them with hot chocolate when they would return. They would make snow forts in the front yard to protect their land from his friendly neighbors.

Both of us remember anxiously standing around the radio in the morning waiting to hear if we were on a one-hour or two-hour delay or even better school would be cancelled. Great celebrations ensued.

I have a feeling that we won't be able to enjoy this snow since it is supposed to rain most of the day so that will melt what snow falls. But we will take any precipitation that we can get.

No comments: